Genesee RiverWatch seeks to recognize the work of individuals and organizations who have made significant contributions to “protecting and celebrating our river”. We do this in the form of the Elizabeth Thorndike Environmental Excellence Awards. The award is named after “Liz” Thorndike who founded the Center for Environmental Information (CEI) in 1974 and led the organization for many years. In 2014, CEI did a strategic review of environmental priorities in our region and as a result launched Genesee RiverWatch and instituted the Thorndike Awards. From 2015 to 2018, the awards were granted annually and we expect to continue this tradition in 2021. The award categories are:
- Individual(s) or organization(s) whose work has been influential in mobilizing stakeholders to improve the water quality of the Genesee River Basin and its tributaries and/or connect people to the river.
- Significant project(s) or event(s) that have contributed to improving the water quality of the Genesee River and its tributaries or connecting people to the river.
- Individual(s) whose volunteer work on behalf of Genesee RiverWatch has significantly aided Genesee RiverWatch in its Mission.
- Seeking Nominations for Environmental Leadership Awards May 17, 2021Genesee RiverWatch is seeking nominations of individuals, organizations, projects, or events for its Elizabeth Thorndike Environmental Leadership Awards.Read more...
- 2018 Award Winners October 15, 2018Congratulations to the 2018 Elizabeth Thorndike Environmental Excellence Award winners. The Awards recognize individuals, organizations and projects that have made significant contributions to the Genesee RiverWatch Mission. The awards were presented at the Genesee River Bash on Saturday, September 29, 2018. Dr. ...Read more...