Since 2015, we have partnered with the City of Rochester and the Genesee Waterways Center to offer guided canoe and kayak trips on the Genesee. These excursions are great opportunities to explore the “wilderness in the city” that is the lower river and to learn about the fascinating history of the Genesee. This summer’s program will offer trips on both the lower river (between Lower Falls and the harbor) and on the section of the Genesee bordering Genesee Valley Park and secluded Red Creek. This summer, in order to enhance safety and increase the enjoyment of all participants, we are asking that participants have a basic knowledge of paddling techniques when they join our trips. To help people get that knowledge, this year we are offering two days of training for new paddlers at the Waterways Center. If you have never before been in a kayak, join us for one of these days. It will open a whole new opportunity to explore your world that is not available to those tied to the shore.
Below is the tentative program schedule for 2022. Watch for further announcements in our mailings, on the Genesee RiverWatch website and on the Genesee Waterways website.
- Saturday, June 11 – Beginner paddling training and intermediate+ skill paddle, Waterways Center
- Sunday, July 17 – Intermediate+ skill paddle, Petten St.
- Saturday, August 13 – Beginner paddling training and intermediate+ skill paddle, Waterways Center
- Saturday, September 10 – Intermediate+ skill paddle, Petten St.
- Sunday, October 2 (ROC the Riverway Weekend) – Intermediate+ skill paddle, Petten St.