Have you ever been through an Erie Canal lock…in a kayak?
Join Genesee RiverWatch and the Genesee Waterways Center for the fourth event in this summer’s series of guided paddles on the Genesee River and Erie Canal.
On this trip, we will paddle up the Genesee to the Erie Canal and head east toward Brighton and Pittsford. We will go through Lock 33 at Edgewood Avenue, getting a water-level view of the lock’s operation, and truly appreciate the massive scale of an Erie Canal lock. Paddling further east, we will exit the canal at the Lock 32 Paddling Center on Clover Street. Shuttle vans will take us back to our cars at the Waterways Center.
At approximately 5 miles length, this paddle is longer than the others in this summer’s series. Therefore, you should pay special attention to the following:
- You should be sufficiently experienced to be confident in your ability to paddle for 3 hours with limited rest. The waters of the canal and lock are generally calm and will not require technical skills.
- We will need to start promptly at 10:00, so please plan to arrive around 9:30 in order to sign in and get your life vest, paddle, and kayak.
- There is little shade along the canal. Dress accordingly (including a hat), apply sunscreen, and bring plenty of water, Gatorade, or other sports drinks. Be sure to bring a camera for some dramatic photos of Lock 33!
- Transiting the lock is easy and safe. When we enter, we will hold onto one of the ropes or cables that line the inner wall and slowly descend 25.4 feet over about 15 minutes.
Other conditions that applied to all the events this summer:
- Paddlers must be at least 10 years old.
- Pre-registration is required at the Genesee Waterways Website.
- Boat rental pricing is as follows:
- City residents: Single kayak: $15 l Tandem kayak: $25 l Family of 4 – 2 tandems for $40
- Non-City residents: Single kayak: $30 l Tandem kayak: $45
- Bring your own boat: $5.00- use code OWNBOAT when you register!
- City residents – Use Code CITYDISCOUNT for single kayaks and CITYDISCOUNT2 for tandem kayaks to get discounted pricing when you register
- We will meet at the Genesee Waterways Center, 149 Elmwood Avenue, between 9:30 and 10:00AM.
Any questions? Call the Waterways Center at 585-328-3960.
You may also want to make plans for the final paddling event of this summer:
Saturday, October 7, 3:00PM – 6:00PM (Roc the Riverway Weekend) Enjoy the Rochester City skyline from water level during this evening paddle to Corn Hill and back.
See you on the River!